Saturday, February 14, 2009

Out with the Old...

Today I am kicking an old friend out of the shop. (No, it's not you. Don't be so paranoid.) In the spirit of trying to stay current, I am moving out this beautiful cupboard, to be replaced by a display piece that is a bit more streamlined. I find that the less stuff I have in here, the happier I am. Which begs the question: why am I in the retail business? I think people expect stores to be crammed wall-to-wall with items for sale, but I just can't bring myself to merchandise that way.

Anyway, goodbye to the cupboard - it will live with me for a while at home before moving on to greener pastures.


Speaking of streamlined, these new cloches I just got in are in a shape both current and timeless.


And speaking of timeless, peacocks (unless you're referring metaphorically to a real, insufferable person) will never go out of style. This is the Sycamore Hollow peacock watching over my winter window. It's sitting on the vintage mushroom-shaped wood piece that I picked up at the flea market last winter (after I paid for it of course). This piece is a bit on the weird side, and customers always ask "What do you do with that?" or "What is that for?" Why for putting a peacock on top of course! No, I don't say that. The wood piece is just for adorning your life, a bit of low-brow sculpture. Just go with it and ask yourself if it is always necessary to be so practical - rotten economy notwithstanding.