Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Chill in the Air

I wandered around Rockport this morning running errands and experienced a distinct chill in the air. I forgot to put a sweater on my oldest son and felt like a bad mother. It seems like just the other day when I forgot to put shorts on him instead of pants and felt like a bad mother. Maybe the common element here is that I usually feel like I'm failing him, at least when it comes to listening to the weather report. Last year we grew gourds at the old Ohio homestead - here they are in all their glory.
This year the crop was not so bumper-ish. In fact, my brother, who has been faithfully tending them, reported to me that it is likely that not a single pie could be made by combining the entire crop. Needless to say, the crop from the old Ohio homestead will not be taken to market in 2009. So it's a good thing that I have my vintage furniture and handpainted pieces to fall back on. Can you hear a tinge of sarcasm? What I really wanted to feature in the photo is what the gourds are arranged on: an industrial cart painted in aqua with just the right amount of wear and tear. One of my all-time favorite pieces.

We are gearing up for our Harvest Festival here in Rockport. Put it on your calendar now folks. Plenty of homemade pies, wacky scarecrows, wacky Rockport-ers, and a cider donut or two.